Tuesday 4 August 2009

A letter to a son

Dear blog
Recently, I participated in a Poem writing competition. The theme was - Common Man In The Times Of Recession. Following is my take on recession, right from my heart and somewhere influenced by some personal incidents :

A letter to a son

Dear son
Finally i have figured the way out
to say 'sorry'
for being unable to
buy you those Nike shoes,
through this letter.

I know you need them ;
direly need them for your football trials.
I know how much the trials mean,
especially, when you have worked the hardest
and is all set to conquer your football world.

I am really sorry, baby!
I just could not arrange for them.
I don't expect you to understand me or the uncertainties of our lives.
I just hope that you will forgive me,
Though that will be unfair on you.

For so many years now, i have been telling you
that money can't buy us happiness.
But times change, kiddo !
And my words have lost their innocence
somewhere in between these changing times.

These trying times have tried hard
to deny me more courage
Not even granting a litre or half of it,
so that to be able to admit
that i can't afford those white Nike shoes.

I know you cannot understand all this even if you want to,
I know you still believe that happiness is priceless,
But priceless is nothing, dear !
Not now at least.
Time to change our beliefs.

I wish i could do something better,
Better than these shoes from the sale.
For these shoes look good, just like our lives.
But aren't that good, just like our lives.
I hope that there are better shoes and a better life ahead.

I am ashamed of my incapabilities
for I promised you on the first day of our togetherness,
all the happiness in this world,
only to discover now
how shabby my promise can turn.
Sorry, dear...

The worst mummy possible.

Fight on, Move on and hence Live on ...

No comments:

Post a Comment